Sunday, January 9, 2011

GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

The torture is over. A regular season that went down to the LAST game. Amazing pitching duels. Blow outs. The whole gamut of emotions through the NLDS, NLCS and the one series that means everything.

On Monday, November 1, the Giants finally did it. The first time they won it all since they moved to San Francisco from New York in 1958. Since I was a girl, I've seen them in the World Series only two other times. In 1989 against the Oakland A's which was interrupted by the Loma Prieta earthquake. And in 2002 against the Angels which was a complete and utter heartbreaker. It still pains me to think of that series. And it still pains me to go to Angel Stadium now that we live nearby. That damn rally monkey still makes me mad.

I've been a fan since I can remember. Watching Willie 'Stretch' McCovey, Will the Thrill, Barry - and this year's team. I remember freezing my butt off at DAY games at Candlestick Park. I remember screaming with joy when Vida Blue, a pitcher, hit a home run after I cheered for him to do so & my brother replied "He's a pitcher. Pitchers don't hit home runs." I KNEW that he had heard me.

So, that evening, after I stopped crying and sitting in disbelief, we opened some champagne.


I waffled back & forth a bit, but finally decided to get myself a plane ticket and headed up to SF for the celebration. Here are Lisa and me on MUNI on our way to the Civic Center.


As we entered the craziness, we see all the news trucks.


It was a beautiful day in SF, however, it was hot. Especially when you're surrounded by a bazillion fellow Giants fans. Here is the fray as we enter.


We stood there for HOURS. I kid you not. Couldn't sit down, standing room only. In retrospect, we should have headed to the parade route instead of the Civic Center Plaza, where the parade ended. But oh well. I still had a blast.


People were everywhere. There were people scaling the sides of buildings to stand on ledges.


Here are my partners in crime, Bill & Lisa.


Finally, the team started to arrive at the Plaza. It was very difficult to see the video screen they had set-up and was even harder to hear anything.


We actually ended up leaving before they fully got going - decided to go find a bar and watch on TV instead! It was too hot, we were hungry and very thirsty!


City Hall looking quite majestic.


Just to give you an idea of how absolutely packed & crazy it was, I downloaded this aerial view of the plaza. I marked where we were standing with an arrow.


Our boy, Timmy Lincecum - aka The Freak - on the cover of Sports Illustrated for their year-end issue. Amazing pitcher!!


Ahhhh, I still get teary-eyed thinking about it! Hope they can pull it off again in 2011!! Go Giants!!!

No comments: