Thursday, July 8, 2010

And under he goes!!!

In late May, while Kevin was off in Las Vegas for a bachelor party, the Nickster and I headed up to wayyyyy northern California & southern Oregon to see my youngest nephew, Tony, get baptised. It was cold for May! We actually had snow on our drives between CA & OR. The poor little dude had some awful colic, so we didn't get a chance to see too much of him. But Nick did have a great time playing with his cousin, Sasha, who is just four months younger than Nick.

Here are some pictures of the baptism, courtesy of Grandma Owice. Lighting wasn't the best, so many of the pictures are a bit blurry. Tony spent the majority of the time screaming his lungs out - poor guy. Here is a shot of the group, with the baptism tub.


Natasha, my sister-in-law, is Russian Orthodox. I've never spent any time in a Russian Orthodox church nor am I familiar with the traditions. It's certainly different than the baptisms I've seen!!

This is the church. It's way up in the woods and very small.


My brother and I corralling the toddlers - they actually did pretty well for sitting in a nearly hour-long ceremony!


Nick trying to "fly".


Part of the ritual is putting the baby up on the altar all by himself. I'm sorry to say I don't remember why they did that. Tony did NOT like that ONE BIT.


A closer look at the baptism tub. They immersed him all the way up to his neck! And the water wasn't heated! Sheesh! Remember I mentioned that it was snowing? Yea, it was cold. Poor little dude.


After an hour car ride back to my brother's house, the boys were ready to PLAY.

"Ah, Sasha, you so funny!"


"No, Nick, you so funny!!"


Remember the book Hop on Pop? Well, the afternoon turned into Hop on Mommy. Both of them ran around the room and then jumped on my lap. I had a number of bruises from that afternoon!!



After Mommy cried uncle, they took to bouncing and falling on each other on the bed.



Shortly after that, it was time to calm them down as Tony was napping.

It was a good trip. Nick & Sasha had a blast together and Nick also got to hang out with Grandma Owice & Grandpa Bop, which is always a favorite for him (and Mommy too!!)

And happy to report that Tony's colic is much better now - I'm sure my brother, sis-in-law and Sasha are all VERY happy about that!! Tony too, I'd bet.

No comments: